Thursday 12 November 2015

Creative Knitting

Hullo everyone from a scorching hot Skeerpoort.  I took our new puppies for their vaccinations this morning.  According to my car, at 9am when I arrived there, the temperature was already 33ºC.  We need some rain desperately!!

Meet Sandy and Buster - the lastest fur editions to our household!


I had an absolute blast at the last meeting learing how to weave.  Glynis definitely HAS to come and do more workshops for us next year.  It was fantastic.  We made i-Pad covers and this is a picture of my attempt !!  After I finished it off, I decided to cut the tassle shorter.

I have to admit to being quite proud of myself.  My own loom is on order and I am anticipating its arrival with great interest.

On to our next meeting which is also the last one for this year.  Can you believe it???  Originally, Linda from the Wilderness was going to give us a workshop again but unfortunately has had to cancel due to circumstances beyond her control.  Marita from Beyond Knitting has kindly agreed to fill her place.  We will be making the Petal Cowl which looks like this -







Awesome, don't you think?  The example was knitted in a yarn called Electric Carnation.  It is imported from the UK and then dyed by a lady who lives in Pretoria.  There are very long repeats of colour which gives the super effect shown on this garment.  The yarn is available from I Love Yarn in Brooklyn at a cost of R480 per 150g ball (600m).  1 ball is enough for this project.  Marita will have some available for purchase at the workshop.

Of course, one can use any soft yarn and it need not necessarily have to be variegated.  You will also need 3.75mm circular needle and lots of stitchmarkers.  If you are going to use your own yarn it will save time if you cast on 300 stitches before you come to the meeting.  Marita's workshop fee is R150 unless you are already a student in one of her classes in which case normal class costs apply.

Please let me know if you will be attending this last function of the year and also whether you want to do the workshop.

I have already set the dates for next year which I will add to the blog after our next meeting.  I am hoping to arrange more workshops and would love your input.  What would you like to see and do?  Provisionally, I am looking at weaving, quilling, art (painting) and pilates but I am sure you have ideas for many other interesting crafts.  Please send me your suggestions.









No comments:

Post a Comment